Thursday, May 2, 2013

Spicy Vegetarian Enchiladas

Hey, Everyone! I'm new to this blog and I'd just like to say "Howdy"! I hope that you've all had a fabulous day.

Anyway, besides performing on stage, I absolutely adore cooking. I'm a vegetarian and I also have severe food intolerances to wheat, dairy, and soy, so cooking from scratch has become an absolute necessity now instead of just something I enjoy doing.

So, besides usually posting inspirational messages and posting about anything related to musical theatre, a lot of my posts will be about food...I hope that's okay with all of you, 'cause if it isn't...well, I'm doing it anyway! ;)

Ingredients:
Corn tortillas
One can of kidney beans
Once can of corn
One can of diced tomatoes and green chilies
Enchilada Seasoning Packet, canned tomato sauce
Daiya Vegan Pepper Jack Cheese (About two cups)
Chili Powder (1tsp), Cumin (1 tsp), garlic salt (1/2 tsp)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 

Rinse and drain your kidney beans, drain your corn and mix all together with your diced tomatoes and green chilies. Mix in the spices. Warm about five or six corn tortillas at a time in the microwave for about a minute (This step is ESSENTIAL. If you try and roll your tortillas cold they will break and you will end up with a big mess!). Immediately put two or three tablespoons of filling in each of your tortillas and roll. Place in a 9x13 baking dish. (This recipe makes quite a lot so you might want to keep another dish on hand, just in case.) Repeat process until all the filling is gone. Mix the Enchilada sauce packet according to directions and pour on your enchiladas and top with Daiya Vegan Pepper Jack cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes or until bubbly and slightly crispy around the edges. 

Note: This recipe is actually very versatile, so go ahead and be brave and start trying your own mix of spices and different kinds of beans! 

No comments:

Post a Comment